Scammers pretending to be from ASIC have been contacting Registry customers asking them to pay fees and give personal information to renew their business or company names.
These emails often have a link that provides an invoice with fake payment details or infects your computer with malware if you click the link.
Warning signs the email is not from ASIC
An email is probably a scam and is not from ASIC if it asks you:
- To make a payment over the phone;
- To make a payment to receive a refund; and
- For your credit card or bank details directly by email or phone.
How do I protect myself from email scams?
- Keep your anti-virus software up to date;
- Be wary of emails that don’t address you by name or misspell your details and have unknown attachments; and
- Don’t click any links on a suspicious email.
If you have any questions regarding this matter, contact your Harris Black team member today.